Non-GMO Recipes: Chia Macaroons and Easy Asian Noodle Soup
The Non-GMO Cookbook: Recipes and Advice for a Non-GMO Lifestyle (Skyhorse Publishing, 2013) is hot off the press and we’ve got two recipes from it to share. Enjoy! For more information on the book, read our review.
Chia Coconut Macaroons
Makes 25 small cookies
Wendy is the owner and founder of Urban Marketplace in Ontario, Canada. After five years of trying to bring organic food to the small industrial town where she lives, she is grateful to see a growing awareness about GMOs and lots of new customers looking for healthy food choices.
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1½ cups shredded unsweetened coconut
⅓ cup turbinado or other unrefined sugar
½ cup coconut milk
6 tablespoons coconut flour
1 tablespoon golden flax meal
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place chia seeds in a mixing bowl and add a tablespoon of water. Let the seeds sit for a few minutes until they congeal. Add another tablespoon of water if needed. Mix remaining ingredients with chia seeds.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop and form cookies.
- Roll between palms, place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and press down lightly to flatten the bottom slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
By Wendy Zenick, Urban Marketplace
Easy Asian Noodle Soup
Misako is in charge of purchasing ingredients for San-J, a brewer of premium tamari soy sauce. San-J has always been dedicated to providing the highest standards of ingredient purity and is proud to have Non-GMO Project Verified products. Food is a big part of Misako’s life, and she loves to cook for friends and family, using ingredients from her own garden. In Japan, her mother taught her that “you are what you eat,” and so now she feels lucky for the lesson and the time spent together over lovingly prepared meals. It has become her passion to pass those values down to her daughter and children in the community.
5 shiitake mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
4 green onions, thinly sliced
6 cups gluten-free chicken broth
3 tablespoons San-J Gluten-Free Tamari
8 ounces maifun thin rice noodles
1 sheet nori seaweed
- In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth, mushrooms, green onions, and San-J Gluten-Free Tamari.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Cook maifun thin noodles according to the package instructions and drain.
- Add noodles to the soup.
- Cut nori sheet into 1-inch strips and sprinkle over the noodle soup before serving.
- Dairy-free, gluten-free
By Misako Binford, San-J International, Inc.